Thursday, July 29, 2010

We Interrupt This Program for a Transplant Trib Nooz Flash

LIVE FROM THE TRANSPLANT TRIB MOBILE NOOZ UNIT AT UCSF MED CENTER

In an unprecedented major move, UCSF has announced my emancipation from the hospital ASAP. I was rejected from having the heart biopsy once again (4th time in 4 days) due to this morning's lab results. I called everyone I could think of, begging and pleading lamely on all the various voice mails. I finally connected with a real person, Sarah J in the heart program. I told her my spiel and even offered to run up and down Parnassus in my underwear.

This must have been TMI for her, she begged me not to do that, PLEASE. But not five minutes later, my Nurse AND both Dr. McG and Dr. D. came in. They were quite frustrated and concerned, and told me they were springing me. I need to return early tomorrow for blood work then hang out at the cath lab and hopefully have the biopsy done tomorrow sometime. I am unbelievably grateful to everyone who got into this, particularly my super heart transplant docs. I even fully understand the decision by Dr. Y in the cath lab, who I have known here for about four years or so. I know him well enough to realize that he truly has my best interests in mind.

And now back to your regularly scheduled programming, Beat the Reaper, which is already in progress.

Bob/Irv

No comments:

Post a Comment

RJ/Bob/Irv is a 61-year-old beloved husband, father, uncle, brother, motor racing fanatic, and Livermore resident who received a heart and kidney transplant in February of 2010. Bob's recent years have been defined by his health, which forced him into early retirement. Unfortunately, many of his days were spent in a dialysis center or at various medical appointments, primarily due to his living with diabetes for over 40 years. Numerous were panic visits to various Emergency Rooms all over California for treatment of chest pain. But now no more dialysis and no more late-night dashes to UCSF! The main focus of Bob's family, friends, and doctors has been a prompt transplant, so that he can get back to traveling with his Sweetie, driving fast cars, enjoying great music and laughing with his friends. This blog will function as a way to communicate with all interested parties and to keep everyone informed. And hopefully it can serve a great purpose also, in making people more aware of the importance of organ donation and how each life saved has a positive effect on dozens of related friends and relatives.