Sunday, July 25, 2010

One Day You're Up, Then the Next Day...

A TRULY FINE WEDNESDAY

We came to The City with our friends the Henrys and Frates' for a matinee performance of Young Frankenstein. Despite some poor reviews, we found it entertaining. This despite the fact that I largely slept through the first act, which I suspect is a common problem at matinees. I firmly believe this was a portent of the events of Thursday, but I really dunno.

The show was followed by dinner at Greens in Fort Mason, a famous vegetarian restaurant. I had not been there since a lunch during my FDI days, well over 20 years ago. Cheryl has never been there. It was unbelievably excellent, to say the least. It is magical what they do with veggies, tofu, fruit, nuts and particularly seasonings. Nothing trying to be phony meat, just truly delicious items served by professional SF servers. It was a stark contrast to our sad lunch experience at Il Fornaio in Walnut Creek on Tuesday. And Greens was full, with a wait, by 6:30 or so, that is how good and popular it is.

A LESS THAN SATISFYING THURSDAY, FRIDAY, SATURDAY.........?

After an afternoon of car wash, grocery shopping and general errands, I suddenly became extremely fatigued. My shoulders ached, and when I sat down to catch some nooz on the tube I virtually melted into the chair. I could not keep my head up nor my eyes open, and my mouth was totally dry. I could not even bear the thought of eating the Togo's sandwich I had picked up. Cherie was at a travel agent get-together, so I was doing the Lonely Livermore Guy deal. After a while, I broke down and called the after-hours heart transplant support, and spoke with the on-call physician. She recommended getting hydrated and keeping an eye on it overnight. Robin coincidentally called, and she and Pat came over immediately when I told them I felt crappy and Cherie was not home. By this time I had retired to bed, as I was trembling a bit and had some difficulty standing. Just then, Cherie returned and took over. I sure appreciate the concern from Robin and Pat.

In the middle of the night, I got up from bed for one of my frequent bathroom visits. Immediately I experienced severe lower back pains, reminiscent of the many disc-oriented back problems I started having 30 years ago and have now been gone for quite some time. Very unpleasant and confusing as well. Friday provided no beneficial changes, and the transplant team still held off on summoning me, which greatly pleased me. At bedtime the other shoe dropped when my temperature shot up to 101.1, definite fever territory. My call to the transplant service did produce the expected and feared invitation to the ED, so off we went.
javascript:void(0)
Arriving at about 1:00 am, we cooled our heels in the ED hoping for a quick fix and departure maybe with some miraculous drug or two. Fat chance. The cardio doc immediately called for admission, and a mere 14 hours later I finally departed the ED bound for my beloved 10 Long. I have had several tests, IV antibiotics and, just moments ago, an unhappy reunion with ol' Mr. Foley.

The current thinking is a bacterial infection due to incomplete emptying of the bladder, this an effect of obstruction in the uh, er, urethra. Still to be determined are my length of stay and subsequent treatment plan, especially with the strange back pain feature. But for now we feel strangely comfortable in familiar surroundings, being cared for by skilled and familiar people. And best of all, tomorrow morning....FRENCH TOAST!

Bob/Irv

No comments:

Post a Comment

RJ/Bob/Irv is a 61-year-old beloved husband, father, uncle, brother, motor racing fanatic, and Livermore resident who received a heart and kidney transplant in February of 2010. Bob's recent years have been defined by his health, which forced him into early retirement. Unfortunately, many of his days were spent in a dialysis center or at various medical appointments, primarily due to his living with diabetes for over 40 years. Numerous were panic visits to various Emergency Rooms all over California for treatment of chest pain. But now no more dialysis and no more late-night dashes to UCSF! The main focus of Bob's family, friends, and doctors has been a prompt transplant, so that he can get back to traveling with his Sweetie, driving fast cars, enjoying great music and laughing with his friends. This blog will function as a way to communicate with all interested parties and to keep everyone informed. And hopefully it can serve a great purpose also, in making people more aware of the importance of organ donation and how each life saved has a positive effect on dozens of related friends and relatives.