Thursday, July 1, 2010

Special July 4th Edition: A Tribute to George M. Cohan







THE FOURTH APPROACHES

As performed by a very young James Cagney, portraying George M. Cohan:

I'm a Yankee Doodle Dandy
A Yankee Doodle, do or die
A real live nephew of my Uncle Sam
Born on the Fourth of July

I've got a Yankee Doodle sweetheart
She's my Yankee Doodle joy
Yankee Doodle came to London
Just to ride the ponies
I am the Yankee Doodle Boy

And just who the heck was George M. Cohan? Well, he was known in the decade before World War I as "the man who owned Broadway", and he is considered the father of American musical comedy. His life and music were depicted in the Academy Award-winning film "Yankee Doodle Dandy" (1942) and the 1968 musical "George M!".

And yes, I AM in fact the Yankee Doodle Boy, as we all should be, not only this weekend but all year long. This is the First Fourth with my new parts and I will admit that despite the lack of any fireworks plans, I am looking very much forward to it. Shoot, I am looking forward to and enjoying virtually EVERYTHING these days. I am probably gonna feel this way for a while about any and all upcoming events and holidays. I just can't help myself.....Happy Feet indeed.

Speaking of feet, I just returned from Walnut Creek where my excellent long-time podiatrist, Dr. Paul S., had a gander at mine. By the way, Dr. S. restores and drives his own British sports cars, like Austin-Healy Sprite and Jag XK-E. Very brave and talented guy.

You may wonder "Hey Bob/Irv, what is with the foot problems?". Well, I'm gonna share a little secret that only my dear parents knew. And that is....uh, this is difficult...OK, here goes....no, wait.....(deep breathing).....er, well.....OK. I HAVE FLAT FEET! Whew, there it is, I have finally come out, so to speak. I feel way better. Even My Cheryl does not know this because ever since we first met I NEVER HAVE APPEARED IN HER PRESENCE WITHOUT SHOES AND SOCKS ON!! I am not making this crap up. It has been a real challenge. Good thing I hate the beach because it was damn embarrassing the few times we went and I had my swim trunks on with wing-tips and black socks. And the lady that she is, she never said a word! What a gem!

HEALTH NOOZ MARCHES ON

I had an appointment with another old provider, Dr. Karen G., the ophthalmologist who did my cataract surgery. One memorable previous appointment found me walking down East Ave. from another doctor to her building, thus passing by John Muir Concord (formerly known as Mt. Diablo). This was the one where I got wobbly, fell and hit my head on the sidewalk as Cheryl drove by to park. She freaked, fer shore. Just one of many fun pilgrimages to UCSF Emergency Department.

Anyhow, it was determined my eye pressures are high, but she is confident it is not a sign of glaucoma. We will re-check in a month and make a decision on treatment, which would be some sort of drops.

On the dental front, Dr. Brent L. wants to do a bridge to fill in the place where the cracked tooth was. And for "only" $3000, of which our marvelous dental coverage generously pays $600! At the moment, $2400 is pretty steep as we approach the dreaded Donut Hole of Medicare drug coverage. Prescription costs will go from awful to unbearable quickly, so an extra coupla grand or so on dental is not advisable at the moment. I already have a couple of embarrassing gaps in my teeth so what's one more? You can't see it with the naked eye (?) so "Only Your Dentist Knows for Sure" as the old commercial used to say.

FATHER'S DAY III WITH THE CHAWS

Leslie and Chris hosted the finale of Father's Day 2010 for Allan and I. Needless to say, Mr. LuckyManBBQ (Chris) was on his game, and Leslie once again provided the rest of an excellent meal, with some assistance from the Moms on the salad course. Incredible fun was had by all, and we capped it off with a lovely (sedate) top-down ride back to Liver Valley.

I truly am enjoying my little car, as I keep pointing out, and I really think I have re-learned how to properly drive it after what was virtually a five-year hiatus. The only thing I need to do now is adjust that non-existent brake pedal over on the passenger side, the one I see Cheryl pressing in vain every time I start to get "competitive". Chicken.

EQUIPMENT FAILURE

No, it's not another case of Car Trouble on a Three-Day Weekend this time. We gave our trusty but goofy laptop to our computer guy, Steve, who messed with it and pronounced it DOA. The sensible solution is a new one (see Donut Hole dilemma above) so we will at least do some shopping. I think it is likely the stress and strain of producing the Transplant Trib took its toll, so it is understandable that the old guy finally succumbed to all the sarcasm and downright stoopid stuff I include in the Trib. Rest in computerland peace, my friend.

Have a safe and sane Fourth.

Bob/Irv

No comments:

Post a Comment

RJ/Bob/Irv is a 61-year-old beloved husband, father, uncle, brother, motor racing fanatic, and Livermore resident who received a heart and kidney transplant in February of 2010. Bob's recent years have been defined by his health, which forced him into early retirement. Unfortunately, many of his days were spent in a dialysis center or at various medical appointments, primarily due to his living with diabetes for over 40 years. Numerous were panic visits to various Emergency Rooms all over California for treatment of chest pain. But now no more dialysis and no more late-night dashes to UCSF! The main focus of Bob's family, friends, and doctors has been a prompt transplant, so that he can get back to traveling with his Sweetie, driving fast cars, enjoying great music and laughing with his friends. This blog will function as a way to communicate with all interested parties and to keep everyone informed. And hopefully it can serve a great purpose also, in making people more aware of the importance of organ donation and how each life saved has a positive effect on dozens of related friends and relatives.