Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Dancing the Parnassus Polka

WASTEFUL WEDNESDAY

I was scheduled for that biopsy today, but nobody knew when. At about 11:00 am my nurse, Ann told me I was scratched for today. My IR results indicated I was still a bleeding risk, so "never mind" as Gilda Radner used to say. At least I was able to get lunch, but I will be NPO again at midnight for another opportunity tomorrow.

I did the "Poor Me" thing with the cardiac team, and Dr. McG assured me she would try like Hell to get me to the very much anticipated BBQ at the Schnurr's tomorrow evening. I told the team I was not above getting on my knees and begging, which they did consider for a moment. But they decided that would not be necessary this time. Maybe later. Whatever. It still will be based on blood work.

SO, HERE WE ARE, EH?

Yes, here I sit, enjoying our new Mac and dashing off this little wee blog for y'all. Cherie brought some stuff (Coke Zero...slurp, slurp, slurp.......BURP!.......ahhhhhhhhhh) and made a rapid departure to return to her Console. She is swamped with Oceania requests and is frankly stressin' too damn much. I am missing my shopping and dishwashing duties, not to mention several doc appointments and cardiac rehab.

I just got a new add-on, an IV drip of heparin, running until I go downstairs tomorrow. So now I have that, Mr. Foley, and soon my insulin pump all hanging off various appendages (don't compliment yourself, Bob/Irv). If I can get just one nurse or aide to join me, I mean US, it officially constitutes a Party by Med Center Policies and Procedures. The nurse's station is decorated with balloons and streamers, the lights automatically dim and loud rock 'n' roll tumbles out of the speakers. And everyone (even the geezer next door who coughs and wheezes all night) is required to ROCK IT OUT! Right on!

SILLY LAST-MINUTE MUSINGS

Oh, did anyone notice my fluency in Canadian? Up there ^ in the title of the last segment, I used the word "eh". This is in honor of my brand-new Canadian nephew, Isaiah Patrick Caples (Born July 19 2010 at 1:03 am central 7 lbs. 6 oz. 20.5"). Way to go, Maribel, Joel and Aevan! So "have a hike, Hosers" and make mine a Molson's"

I almost forgot. My old buddy Jay Russio shared a story on Facebook. A recent study suggest men who stare at women's breasts will live up to an additional FIVE YEARS! Jeez, I never knew that. Do I get extra credit for drooling? I should live to 100 now, new heart and kidney plus LOTS of ogling to my credit.

That's about all the ridiculous and heart-warming blather I can muster right now. Time for a short excursion to the Solarium and some deep thought.......

Bob/Irv.

No comments:

Post a Comment

RJ/Bob/Irv is a 61-year-old beloved husband, father, uncle, brother, motor racing fanatic, and Livermore resident who received a heart and kidney transplant in February of 2010. Bob's recent years have been defined by his health, which forced him into early retirement. Unfortunately, many of his days were spent in a dialysis center or at various medical appointments, primarily due to his living with diabetes for over 40 years. Numerous were panic visits to various Emergency Rooms all over California for treatment of chest pain. But now no more dialysis and no more late-night dashes to UCSF! The main focus of Bob's family, friends, and doctors has been a prompt transplant, so that he can get back to traveling with his Sweetie, driving fast cars, enjoying great music and laughing with his friends. This blog will function as a way to communicate with all interested parties and to keep everyone informed. And hopefully it can serve a great purpose also, in making people more aware of the importance of organ donation and how each life saved has a positive effect on dozens of related friends and relatives.