Thursday, June 10, 2010

Sleepless in Livereattle: My First Prednisone Party

THE SECOND SIDE EFFECT APPEARS

Now that I have a bit of a handle on the blood sugar thing, here comes sleeplessness. I got up like, maybe midnight, and started my usual stuff when this has briefly happened in the past. I finish up some dishes, read a magazine or book, look at mail and organize my morning meds. Then I usually return to bed and get a few hours of rest. But last night, there was no rest. I began to monkey with my new glucose meter, and it did not start up according to the manual. So I called the "24/7" user support number and got a recording that said "We are closed. Call back at 8:00 am Eastern Time".

So at exactly 5:00 am CA time I called. I got a brief ad, some automated questions to answer, and then elevator Muzak.....for over 40 minutes! I was mad as Hell; I have used Lifescan meters for years and never had this happen. Anyhow, about 7:30 I did get a nice real person who got me started correctly on the meter. I bitterly complained about Customer Service, and she sheepishly informed me 24/7 support had ended in January. This is so wrong for a device upon which diabetics rely at all times for accurate glucose measurement. If one cannot obtain a reading if a high or low blood sugar is suspected, at ANY time, what is the use? OK, sorry for the mini-rant, but it was maddening.

But hey, I am strangely awake and alert right now. I am ready for another swell day of running around town, and then making our merry way to tonight's TRIO get-together in Mountain View. Woot!,as my sister-in-law might exclaim.!

TRANSPLANT TRIB NOMINATES 2010 TRANSPLANT CAR OF THE YEAR, UCSF VERSION

Now for something a bit absurd (are you surprised?), we are naming the best car for transplant activities at UCSF. No suspense, of course you know it hasta be the Honda Fit. Every time I drive our Fit it appeals to me more. And although I am still deeply saddened that I blew up my trusty old Acura Legend, the Honda is a far superior choice for a lot of duties. For going to The City it cannot be topped, due to the size when parking, the handling, and the great mileage on regular fuel. Our Legend was quite large and gave about 20 mpg on premium. And yes. it is a Honda and I have had phenomenal luck with them ever since my first Honda CB350 motorcycle way back at UCSB. My only wishes might be for an "Si" version with about 50 more hp, disc brakes on the rear wheels (they are drums now), some fatter tires, and maybe the option of a sunroof. Oh, and sorry Leslie, for this work only the automatic will do. So the Transplant Tribune proudly suggests the Fit for all transplant candidates, recipients, families, and friends who must brave the wilds of the UCSF area.

Th-Th-Th-That's All Folks.

Bob/Irv

No comments:

Post a Comment

RJ/Bob/Irv is a 61-year-old beloved husband, father, uncle, brother, motor racing fanatic, and Livermore resident who received a heart and kidney transplant in February of 2010. Bob's recent years have been defined by his health, which forced him into early retirement. Unfortunately, many of his days were spent in a dialysis center or at various medical appointments, primarily due to his living with diabetes for over 40 years. Numerous were panic visits to various Emergency Rooms all over California for treatment of chest pain. But now no more dialysis and no more late-night dashes to UCSF! The main focus of Bob's family, friends, and doctors has been a prompt transplant, so that he can get back to traveling with his Sweetie, driving fast cars, enjoying great music and laughing with his friends. This blog will function as a way to communicate with all interested parties and to keep everyone informed. And hopefully it can serve a great purpose also, in making people more aware of the importance of organ donation and how each life saved has a positive effect on dozens of related friends and relatives.