Monday, June 7, 2010

A Good Omen Today, and a Busy Day Tomorrow

THAT GOOD OMEN DEAL

On the way to my weekly visit to Quest Labs I spotted a very nice Cobra going the other way. YES, I exclaimed just as a semi nearly wiped out the Fit as it made a desperate lunge into my lane. But not to worry, I got to the Fenton Funhouse and was greeted warmly by smiling staffers. My phylebotomist was quick, efficient and friendly. I left thanking that dude with the Cobra for my good fortune.

PROJECT PREDNISONE DRONES ON

Started this morning kinda high on blood sugar, then it dropped like a rock at cardiac rehab. Well, duh, dummy, exercise lowers glucose just like insulin. I know this but brain fade captured me. After juice, peanut butter crackers, and glucotabs my dear nurse Tina went to the cafe and bought me a turkey sandwich. I had to pass on my treadmill ride, but finally I left at an acceptable level.

I saw our friend Barbara C. from TRIO at the gym, and she asked me if I had CMV. I have no idea what that is, but at home I Googled it. It is hell of scary for transplant recipients, but again I could not understand the medical jargon. I emailed my Transplant Coordinator and she assured me I did not have this serious affliction. More Good Karma; thanks again, Mr. Cobra.

As I mentioned earlier, first stop tomorrow will be my Muir endocrinologist. A major effort will be put forth to get a better handle on this blood sugar ordeal, especially since the prednisone gets "tapered" down over the next several weeks.

Then off to UCSF for a DSA (Donor Specific Antigen) test. I tried Googling this too but all the articles were highly technical and I hardly understood a word. Then at 2:00 PM we have an appointment for yet another ultrasound, this time on my left arm. This will determine the condition of those blood clots I got in the hospital. I am very anxious to stop taking Lovenox, as it is $$$$ and the shots have made a complete mess of my poor abdomen. Originally it was to be 90 days and that is coming up soon.

OH, BY THE WAY

I got a message on Facebook today about a contest that would send me to NASCAR at Infineon this Father's Day on a VIP deal from Toyota. If you would be kind enough to vote for me, I thank you. It is at http://apps.facebook.com/promotionshq/contests/37008/invites/new

Pretty much covers it for the moment, 'til we blog again....

Bob/Irv

No comments:

Post a Comment

RJ/Bob/Irv is a 61-year-old beloved husband, father, uncle, brother, motor racing fanatic, and Livermore resident who received a heart and kidney transplant in February of 2010. Bob's recent years have been defined by his health, which forced him into early retirement. Unfortunately, many of his days were spent in a dialysis center or at various medical appointments, primarily due to his living with diabetes for over 40 years. Numerous were panic visits to various Emergency Rooms all over California for treatment of chest pain. But now no more dialysis and no more late-night dashes to UCSF! The main focus of Bob's family, friends, and doctors has been a prompt transplant, so that he can get back to traveling with his Sweetie, driving fast cars, enjoying great music and laughing with his friends. This blog will function as a way to communicate with all interested parties and to keep everyone informed. And hopefully it can serve a great purpose also, in making people more aware of the importance of organ donation and how each life saved has a positive effect on dozens of related friends and relatives.