Saturday, June 5, 2010

A Bright Spot from Friday

It was not all gloom and doom yesterday. Of course each day is a grateful one; grateful for my dear Cheryl, my donor's family, my own awesome family, my incredible friends, UCSF (although I constantly make jokes about them), etc. etc. the list goes on. One opportunity for uplifting entertainment for all transplant recipients, however, is simple and quite effective.

You may recall an earlier post featuring a picture of Yours Truly at Target or some similar place, wearing my UCSF hat low over my bulging (and badly scratched) free sunglasses. The mask completes the look very effectively. I wear this type of get-up in crowds, at health care facilities, and into stores of all types. Besides my own protection, I get a kick out of watching people, especially kids, react to me.

I have not had a lot of reactions, but yesterday at Trader Joe's I was approached by a little guy who was maybe three or four years old. We had a nice conversation:

Kid: Hey, how come you're wearing a mask?
Me: So I don't get sick.
Kid: Why?
Me: Because I have a brand-new heart (I point at my chest) and kidney (I point at, well, my kidney).
Kid: Why?
Me: Because I got sick and I needed new parts.
Kid: Why?
Me: I didn't eat the right things and I didn't exercise enough.
Kid: I eat the right things.
Me: That's great.
Kid: My Daddy has allergies.

At which point he walks away and returns to Mommy who is talking up a couple of other young Mommies. I must say I rather enjoyed it.

In just a few moments I will begin taking my megadose of prednisone. Please excuse me the next time we meet if I am really cranky, fat as a blimp, blathering constantly, or running around at 203 mph. It's the drugs talkin'

We'll speak later.

Bob/Irv

No comments:

Post a Comment

RJ/Bob/Irv is a 61-year-old beloved husband, father, uncle, brother, motor racing fanatic, and Livermore resident who received a heart and kidney transplant in February of 2010. Bob's recent years have been defined by his health, which forced him into early retirement. Unfortunately, many of his days were spent in a dialysis center or at various medical appointments, primarily due to his living with diabetes for over 40 years. Numerous were panic visits to various Emergency Rooms all over California for treatment of chest pain. But now no more dialysis and no more late-night dashes to UCSF! The main focus of Bob's family, friends, and doctors has been a prompt transplant, so that he can get back to traveling with his Sweetie, driving fast cars, enjoying great music and laughing with his friends. This blog will function as a way to communicate with all interested parties and to keep everyone informed. And hopefully it can serve a great purpose also, in making people more aware of the importance of organ donation and how each life saved has a positive effect on dozens of related friends and relatives.