Saturday, June 19, 2010

Roll Over, Mrs. Beethoven... and Other Stuff

THE CREATIVE PROCESS REVEALED

Welcome to another Late Night edition of the Transplant Trib. No, it is not prednisone-fueled this time; I'm down to 30 mg a day so I think the side effects have been grossly exaggerated. The driving force on this post will become evident as you (hopefully) read on.

Allow me to share with you an actual conversation I discovered between Ludwig van Beethoven and his wife, the lovely Maria Anna Phillipina van Beethoven. For your benefit, Dear Reader, I have personally translated this from the original Middle Germanic to a version more in step with 21st Century language. And, as always, I swear I am not making this up.

Maria: Ludwig, dude, you need to stop playing on your X-box and get your butt over to the synthesizer. Your homeys are wanting some entertainment, and we need the dough.
Ludwig: Chill, babe, I am almost at Level 10 on "Grand Theft Auto VI" so cut me some slack. I can't just squeeze one out on demand, you know.
Maria: Then you better get out and get yourself a paying gig somewhere, or find a street corner where you can jam and people will throw cash into your violin case. Maybe you could peddle a few copies of that CD we burned, that set us back a crapload to make those.
Ludwig: Aw, OK Dear, just get me a Red Bull outta the fridge and I'll see what I can do.

Well, this scene is being repeated almost daily here at Transplant Trib Intergalactic Headquarters. My faithful CFO is continuously urging Your Editor and Publisher, pointing out numerous moments during each day as "that's bloggable!" The other morning I remarked that I was actually enjoying shaving my mug with the new wonderful blades I discovered. She said "That's bloggable!" but c'mon everyone, that is not the kind of incident that she claims you are constantly clamoring for. And like Ludwig, relevant and creative writing comes when it comes, it cannot be forced. Be assured, by the way, I am in no way comparing myself to Beethoven. He was even more deaf than I am.

After all, here at the Trib we have no stinking deadlines to regularly meet. We have no budget, unions, delivery trucks or classified ads like regularly-scheduled media. We have no revenue either, although unsolicited gifts of any nature are gladly accepted. These are parts of the Transplant Tribune Mission (Impossible) Statement. Our Goal: To Advance the Nature and Frequency of Organ Donation via the Occasional Spewing-forth of Transplant Tribune Goofiness and Information. OK with y'all? Cool.

A TRULY INSPIRING SESSION

We were informed by a Cardiac Rehab nurse that Pulmonary Rehab was having a "talk" today by a former patient of theirs who is a double-lung recipient. This very tall, very enthusiastic man, Michael Lause, spoke for nearly an hour about his transplant.

From a very small clue dropped by a UCSF doctor, he was able to deduce his way to discovering the identity of his donor. It was a young police officer who was killed in a violent car accident on the way to a call. This officer left a wife and two young children as well as dozens of friends, relatives and fellow police who loved and respected him. Michael was enthusiastically embraced by these many people. He was invited to a cop picnic honoring the lost officer. He walked in a 10K benefit given for him. He was warmly welcomed into the family's home and accepted as part of the continuation of this man's legacy. The heart and kidney went to one needy person, and likewise his other kidney, liver, and pancreas. In all five lives were given a new direction from him. Pretty heavy-duty stuff, eh?

Cherie joined me for this, and we were both taken by the many similarities with our own experience. Same surgeon at UCSF, staying on 10 Long, and most of all the feeling of deep sadness when they summoned him. I cried when they told me they had organs for me, and it was a young person. Then there was the incredible feeling afterward, followed by the expected ups and downs like I am experiencing now.

Michael did allow a short period for questions, and we took an opportunity to tell the group about our journey. I emphasized the immense necessity for committed support, patting Cheryl on the knee as I spoke. There were questions from the group of lung patients, and I hope the session encouraged them to aggressively pursue a transplant if they are so inclined. The rewards can be immense, as I hope many of you know from our experience.

A (WASTED) TRIP TO 400 PARNASSUS

After dropping Robin off at Oakland Airport, we arrived quite early for our kidney clinic appointment. We were gratefully called to see the doctor rather quickly, well ahead of our scheduled time. Our usual fear of rush hour subsided, and we went in happy and hopeful.

That was far as the euphoria went. I believe I may have met this doctor on one of my many days in the hospital. Naturally, she did not know me, but she did not seem terribly interested in my situation either. She asked me some stuff like "why are you taking this or that med?" or "when did you stop taking this other med?" which seemed to us like stuff that should be in my chart. Maybe not.

We asked her about the additional special tests that were ordered and which I completed at Quest last Monday. She hit some keys on the computer, and said the last results were from like from May sometime. This could have been a Quest thing, as they are unable to report labs as quickly as the UCSF lab can. So we asked what these orders were investigating. She knew nothing about what was specified and all she could muster up was "do you have any questions?". Well, duh, I just asked them but you don't seem to know diddley-squat so let's hit the Bridge and get outta Dodge early. After she checked my heartbeat and lungs and had a peek at my kidney incision we were in fact goners.

Luckily today the kidney transplant nurse practitioner we normally see did return our pathetic phone call. Cherie made some notes but hey, it's like 3 ayem right now and she is sound asleep as I pound away out here on this post. I do it for you, Gentle Readers.

Anyhooo, I don't recall the descriptions except one was for liver function which I have no idea why they did that. But at any rate everything was either normal or slightly improved. Nothing dramatic, nothing bad so we stay the Kidney Kourse for now. Oh, and we were told we could request specific doctors based on their availability on clinic days.

NOW THE BIG FINISH

I guess if these posts are more infrequent they are longer too. My apologies. I will spare you the Father's Day weekend plans (although they will not include my presence at Infineon Raceway) and perhaps describe them retrospectively in the next edition. Likewise, I will let you in on our surprising escapade that is planned for early next week. This is known in big-time journalism as "the Tease".

Consider yourselves Teased,

Bob/Irv

No comments:

Post a Comment

RJ/Bob/Irv is a 61-year-old beloved husband, father, uncle, brother, motor racing fanatic, and Livermore resident who received a heart and kidney transplant in February of 2010. Bob's recent years have been defined by his health, which forced him into early retirement. Unfortunately, many of his days were spent in a dialysis center or at various medical appointments, primarily due to his living with diabetes for over 40 years. Numerous were panic visits to various Emergency Rooms all over California for treatment of chest pain. But now no more dialysis and no more late-night dashes to UCSF! The main focus of Bob's family, friends, and doctors has been a prompt transplant, so that he can get back to traveling with his Sweetie, driving fast cars, enjoying great music and laughing with his friends. This blog will function as a way to communicate with all interested parties and to keep everyone informed. And hopefully it can serve a great purpose also, in making people more aware of the importance of organ donation and how each life saved has a positive effect on dozens of related friends and relatives.