Friday, June 4, 2010

Bad/Good Omens, and Other Stuff


Looks like I may actually have some readers waiting anxiously for this post, so for them and all other interested parties, here is the Editor/Publisher's take on recent developments.

TWO LONG DAYS AT PUZZLE PALACE

During a sociable chat with the heart transplant coordinator Tuesday evening, she mentioned something about "the heart biopsy tomorrow". My blood ran cold, as there was nothing communicated to us about that obligation. But we ralleyed and made it to the cath lab as instructed at 7:30 am. NPO I might add. At 11:30 or so I walked into the procedure room. The deed was done, the follow-up X-ray was done, but alas, the doctor commanded me to stay two more hours to ensure I did not encounter any bleeding. Total biopsy time, about one hour. Total time spent in hospital, about eight hours. Two-hour return trip to Liverstein, priceless.

We already knew Thursday would be long, with two early clinic visits (heart and kidney) and a 1 and 1/2-hour cytogam infusion at 11:00. But wait...two additional tests were added late on Wednesday, a lung capacity test and a CT scan of the lungs. Seems there is a continued concern, totally justified, about my elevated pulmonary pressures. Despite aggressive treatment with ($$$$) meds it is still high.

Surprise! The clinic visit to heart/lung was way delayed, erasing the opportunity for the lung capacity deal. Caught up a bit with a pretty speedy Kidney Transplant office visit. Then off to the infusion which was delayed a bit over an hour. We ran back to respiratory to squeeze that one in but the tech was out to lunch until 1:00. Back to the infusion center, and a welcome respite while I sat with IV getting the cytogam. Had some lunch there, a Coke Zero and even enjoyed the company of Cheryl with me. She even caught a little "toes up" in my hospital bed while I marinated.

We wound up a memorable day with the CT (unfortunately heart/lung had neglected to send an order) which did end up going smoothly. Then another dash back upstairs to complete the lung test (no orders for this one either), for the Big Finish. We decided to get smart and had a nice dinner at Nopalito, a favorite from our 2000 Post days. While there a very nice woman with a tiny baby in a sling stopped to ask if I had been in 10 ICU a while back. Seems she is the Nurse Manager on that unit and she remembered me, telling me how great I looked now. That was hella nice of her. Still traffic but we made it home in, like, an hour and fifteen or so.

NOW FOR THE GOOD/BAD OMEN THING

I have this deal that if I see a Ferrari, Cobra, or Porsche 356, it means it is, or will be, a Good Day. I have to see at least three S2000's to accomplish the same thing. I never considered specific Bad Karma indicators, until Thursday morning. I heard Cheryl exclaiming loudly for me to come to the window and look at the Fit. I was horrified to see the largest, most widespread, pure white and totally disgusting bird crap I have ever seen. We are talking about either a VERY large creature here, a squadron of creatures, or a normal-sized offender with some unfathomable GI problems. I am not exaggerating one single bit; the main impact areas were on the hatch and left rear corner. But the spatter factor extended the damage zone as far as the roof, hood, entire left side, and even (yes!) INSIDE the rear door jamb. Such was the altitude, weight and velocity of the payload that it actually penetrated the tiny opening on the door edge. I mean our car went from Black to Dalmation in color. I did a quickie hose-off and we were off to Parnassus, at least minimally presentable.

Today I did see a Ferrari on my way home from errands, a black Mondial (once described as "Ferrari's version of an Olds"), not my fave by a long shot. But for the first time the Good Day thing badly backfired.

BAD NOOZ FRIDAY

Yes, I know this one is getting too damn long, but a lot of poop has gone under the bridge lately, so to speak. Results from the heart biopsy; 1R rejection. I feel like that poor pitcher who got robbed of his perfect game the other day. I had 100% no rejection until now. Then moments ago the week-long scrutiny of the kidney biopsy came in as Type 1 rejection. Bummer, doods, indeed.

So what can be done, you may ask? Glad you asked. No headlong dash to UCSF, so that is OK. Minor med change for the heart rejection, as it is considered quite mild. But, oh you Kid(ney). I must increase my prednisone anti-rejection regimen from the current 5mg per day to 160mg per day. Virtually guaranteed side effects are hyperactivity, irritability, extreme increase in appetite, foaming at the mouth (I made that one up)and a monumental rise in blood sugar. Oh frigging boy. I was on like 30mg right after the transplant and I was irritable, hungry and my sugars were constantly sky-high. I did manage to reach the weekend on-call endocrinologist for some advice, so it is gonna be a challenging weekend for my trusty insulin pump, glucose meter and me. Any health care professional, transplant recipient or general passer-by, feel free to suggest ways I may handle this situation without divorce, insanity or physical damage to anyone or anything.

OH YEAH, ONE FINAL WORD ABOUT A WORD: BIOPSY

Seems a few followers are quite spooked by the word "biopsy", equivalizing it with "cancer". Please remember it means a removal of a small portion of the tissue of interest, not necessarily concerning malignancy. As our Governator said in his famous role in Kindergarten Cop, "it's NOT a toomah!" So please chill, y'all.

So that is it. Isn't that enough, already?

Bob/Irv/Leo(?)

No comments:

Post a Comment

RJ/Bob/Irv is a 61-year-old beloved husband, father, uncle, brother, motor racing fanatic, and Livermore resident who received a heart and kidney transplant in February of 2010. Bob's recent years have been defined by his health, which forced him into early retirement. Unfortunately, many of his days were spent in a dialysis center or at various medical appointments, primarily due to his living with diabetes for over 40 years. Numerous were panic visits to various Emergency Rooms all over California for treatment of chest pain. But now no more dialysis and no more late-night dashes to UCSF! The main focus of Bob's family, friends, and doctors has been a prompt transplant, so that he can get back to traveling with his Sweetie, driving fast cars, enjoying great music and laughing with his friends. This blog will function as a way to communicate with all interested parties and to keep everyone informed. And hopefully it can serve a great purpose also, in making people more aware of the importance of organ donation and how each life saved has a positive effect on dozens of related friends and relatives.