Thursday, April 8, 2010

Three Days Later



My apologies to all of you who hunger for daily nooz appearing on this blog. I could lie a little bit but in fact we had a great big fat lazy day on Tuesday, so I coulda taken the time to blog a bit. But instead we went to Walnut Creek where Cheryl scored an overdue haircut, and her hairdresser Sabrina offered me a pity trim job that was obviously long over due. Thanks again Sabrina...I am also pleased to report I will be getting my ears lowered Saturday by my long-time stylist, Nay. I know everyone was on the edge of their seats asking themselves "I wonder when Bob/Irv will be getting a haircut." Well the suspense is over so let's move on, shall we?

We had rather uncertain plans to join our friends Dan and Carol Henry for lunch or dinner, but gracious as they always are we wound up enjoying a lovely lunch outside in the sun on their deck. Attention UCSF Transplant Team: I had a hat on and sat in the shade so I think I took proper steps to avoid problems.

Wednesday we awoke at Oh Dark Thirty to make our way to UCSF for my heart biopsy. We weren't bumped or otherwise delayed and were through there by noon. Good nooz is that today I was happy to learn the results were once again Zero Rejection! Kool! I spent the rest of the day and evening messing with my new CPAP anti-apnea machine and managed about three hours of operation before the mask made my upper lip numb. I hate when that happens. I will continue increasing the time I wear it per instructions of the Respiratory Therapist.

Today was a very ambitious day that started with a visit to Heart Transplant Clinic. Next was a 3-hour cytogam infusion session during which Leslie came over and accompanied her Mama to the Conservatory of Flowers in Golden Gate Park. This delightful afternoon distraction was followed by a 2 1/2 (!) hour trip SF/Livermore that was particularly aggravating to be sure. We got ourselves behind and wound up late in arriving at El Camino Hospital in Mountain View for the monthly gathering of TRIO (Transplant Recipient International Organization). This is our first visit with the group since I have officially become a recipient and it was a warm and happy greeting that we received. Prior to my transplant I had been attending meetings for about 7 years originally at the urging of our dear mom and mom-in-law the late Joan Cook. She and Grandpa Bill Cook were heavily involved with TRIO ever since their epic struggle for his liver transplant in 1987.

So here we are spacing out in front of the Eleven O'clock Nooz and blogging for all I am worth. At Cheryl's insistence we decided to cancel my dermatology appointment for tomorrow and attempt another mental health day outside of San Francisco. We look forward to a nice but productive day beginning with a serious breakfast treat. Yes, you guessed it! French toast, courtesy of the frozen food section of our local Trader Joe's. If you think I would avoid any food that reminds me of my multitudinous stays at UCSF then you would be WRONG!

All for now,

Bob/Irv

No comments:

Post a Comment

RJ/Bob/Irv is a 61-year-old beloved husband, father, uncle, brother, motor racing fanatic, and Livermore resident who received a heart and kidney transplant in February of 2010. Bob's recent years have been defined by his health, which forced him into early retirement. Unfortunately, many of his days were spent in a dialysis center or at various medical appointments, primarily due to his living with diabetes for over 40 years. Numerous were panic visits to various Emergency Rooms all over California for treatment of chest pain. But now no more dialysis and no more late-night dashes to UCSF! The main focus of Bob's family, friends, and doctors has been a prompt transplant, so that he can get back to traveling with his Sweetie, driving fast cars, enjoying great music and laughing with his friends. This blog will function as a way to communicate with all interested parties and to keep everyone informed. And hopefully it can serve a great purpose also, in making people more aware of the importance of organ donation and how each life saved has a positive effect on dozens of related friends and relatives.