Sunday, April 18, 2010

A Brief Update


I deeply apologize to those who have expressed dissatisfaction with the infrequency lately of our humble blog. Some have shared with me that they go immediately upon rising (not necessarily in the AM truth be told) directly to the Transplant Trib for a shot of drama, humor, informative facts, FAQ's and all those other weird and wonderful things that make up this little piece of the Internet (which did I mention I invented way before Al Gore claims he did ?). At any rate at the firm yet loving insistence of My Dear Spouse ("you WILL blog before any race-watching") I am doing a Transplant Trib Weekend Update to at least bring you up to date while I continue to strain my feeble brain to adequately address my latest FAQ's. Believe it or not but I am actually delaying yet again the viewing of LAST week's motorsports events that I recorded while my DVR hums its way through TODAY'S races. That is a significant situation that those of you who know of my life-long passion for the sport will realize is a major shift in priorities. I sacrifice for you, Dear Reader(s) and I do so gladly.


FAMILY GET-TOGETHER


Yesterday was totally dedicated to enjoyment of a BBQ involving a lot of relatives coming from far (Florida) and near (Livermore) for a wide-ranging celebration of, well, EVERYTHING! The weather was perfect, I actually had a full propane tank and it could not have been much better. Thanks again to everyone who brought food and drinks, helped schlep tables and chairs around, and assisted in cleaning it all up. And to my Dear Niece and her father My Esteemed Brother for the original concept. It was a rare event and I could not help but to reflect on how much better this was then 10 Long (I love you guys up on 10 Long, but hey...) and how fortunate I am to have such a great family around to celebrate so many wonderful things.


A RETURN TO DIALYSIS?


Well no, not really, my kidney is still working quite well. But Friday we picked up a coupla dozen freshly-baked cookies and stopped off at Davita in Pleasanton where I spent many hours for three years taking dialysis treatments. The staff were pleased with the cookies and quite happy to see us for the first time since early January. My thanks go to Geraldine, Jasmine, Jamilla and of course all the great people who gave me such high-quality care despite all my bleeding, falling over, low blood pressure etc. etc. They certainly understood my delight at NOT being there day by day and it was a pleasure to see everyone.
OK, somewhat brief, and hopefully some measure of relief for any of those jonesing for frequent outpourings of our homemade, 100% satisfaction guaranteed (or your imaginary money back) brand of nonsense. So it is off to My Chair now for (to begin with) last week's Indycar race. Yesss!
Bob/ Irv


No comments:

Post a Comment

RJ/Bob/Irv is a 61-year-old beloved husband, father, uncle, brother, motor racing fanatic, and Livermore resident who received a heart and kidney transplant in February of 2010. Bob's recent years have been defined by his health, which forced him into early retirement. Unfortunately, many of his days were spent in a dialysis center or at various medical appointments, primarily due to his living with diabetes for over 40 years. Numerous were panic visits to various Emergency Rooms all over California for treatment of chest pain. But now no more dialysis and no more late-night dashes to UCSF! The main focus of Bob's family, friends, and doctors has been a prompt transplant, so that he can get back to traveling with his Sweetie, driving fast cars, enjoying great music and laughing with his friends. This blog will function as a way to communicate with all interested parties and to keep everyone informed. And hopefully it can serve a great purpose also, in making people more aware of the importance of organ donation and how each life saved has a positive effect on dozens of related friends and relatives.