Sunday, April 25, 2010

Miscellaneous Grumblings


I thought I might throw a coupla things out there, "just for ducks" as my dear Cheryl would say. before I totally forget them.

ONCE AGAIN A BIRTHDAY SHOUT-OUT

I wanna take an opportunity on this forum to send Birthday Greetings to my fine Brubbie who many of you may know as Gary S. Moss. Or you may know him as Dad, Daddy, Grampa or Uncle the Geg. I will always greet him as (The) Kid because I have been addressing him as such since, oh, since we were knee-high to a pregnant grasshopper. I sincerely hope he has enjoyed a fine birthday; he is one awesome Bro.

MORE BACK TO NORMAL STUFF

Not to thrash this subject but it constantly amazes me, and I am often heard to exclaim "Hey, this is the FIRST time I have done this since the LAST time I did it!" By the way, Gentle Readers, if I am unnecessarily beating this horse into the ground or if you think perhaps "I wonder what this has to do with ANYthing, let alone organ transplantation ", then please use any or all of the communication/feedback methods I have arranged (at great personal expense, remember?) for you to share your thoughts on this blog. Like email, snail mail, carrier pigeon (recall now?) or any way with which you are comfortable. I do accept text messages but I do not text myself, since I am basically kind of a moron and never figured it out on my antiquated cell phone. So feel free to let loose with your honest (hopefully constructive) criticism. Once I pull myself together (be gentle) I will cheerfully consider (and most likely instantly reject) your input. Thanks for playing.

OK, in no particular order, here are a few things I used to do that now, post-transplant, I am realizing I am doing one again :
  • Driving my S2000-slowly and poorly but driving it nonetheless. And boy, is it dirty.
  • Cooking a full breakfast for Cheryl while she luxuriated in bed reading her book. I used to do this for her and the kiddoes quite frequently, featuring expertly-made omelets. Today's menu was fried egg over easy (no broken yolks, excellent flip in the pan), French toast (of course), soy sausage, and hash browns. My appreciation goes out to Trader Joe's I must admit.
  • Grilling-while I never completely abandoned this I did eek and oik bitterly about "all the effort". Ditto with eating on the deck ("Aw, do we HAVE to?") when Cheryl suggested this. Tonight I enthusiastically grilled a flank steak and potato wedges and enjoyed it all on the deck, with a beautiful evening to boot.
  • Exercise-had quite a long walk in Santa Barbara yesterday. Tomorrow I will make my official return to Cardiac Rehab, which I last attended sometime in December except for one visit in January between hospital stays.
  • Travelling-a motoring trip to LA isn't much unless you consider my last effort in June of '09 resulted in a long stay in ICU at Community Hospital of Long Beach. I am sure I don't need to mention the desperate jet/ambulance trip back to UCSF as I am sure many of you are sick of hearing about that one. So, why do I continue to bring it up? I dunno.

So it is almost pill and bed time here, and I only got one old race watched today, a very fine Chinese Grand Prix. I am scared to death I will find out results of the others before I watch. Pretty obsessive, no? Well that is all for the moment.

Bob/Irv

No comments:

Post a Comment

RJ/Bob/Irv is a 61-year-old beloved husband, father, uncle, brother, motor racing fanatic, and Livermore resident who received a heart and kidney transplant in February of 2010. Bob's recent years have been defined by his health, which forced him into early retirement. Unfortunately, many of his days were spent in a dialysis center or at various medical appointments, primarily due to his living with diabetes for over 40 years. Numerous were panic visits to various Emergency Rooms all over California for treatment of chest pain. But now no more dialysis and no more late-night dashes to UCSF! The main focus of Bob's family, friends, and doctors has been a prompt transplant, so that he can get back to traveling with his Sweetie, driving fast cars, enjoying great music and laughing with his friends. This blog will function as a way to communicate with all interested parties and to keep everyone informed. And hopefully it can serve a great purpose also, in making people more aware of the importance of organ donation and how each life saved has a positive effect on dozens of related friends and relatives.