Monday, April 5, 2010

And Now for Something Completely Different

Soon after thoroughly enjoying a mellow, unhurried and solitary Easter things took an ugly turn for the worse. At 3 ayem I was awakened by some moderate chest pain. Now I KNOW this was not a heart attack so I took a coupla pain pills and managed to fall asleep. We were due for labs here in Livermore about 9 and on that little junket the pain became progressively worse. I was unable to take a deep breath, and a lot of simple movements accentuated the pain. Even sitting still was a problem.



Naturally we were in touch with the Transplant Coordinator who advised me to take 2 more pain pills and call her in an hour. I did so and reported even more misery. She had already discussed the matter with the doc and the order was "get in here to the ED now!" What ensued was Mr. Toad's Wild Ride all the way to Parnassus. Of course Cherie was worried and her driving and verbalization to other drivers (in the car so not heard by them) made me somewhat nervous. Even more so when Andy called and mentioned the symptoms of the dangerous blot clot in his leg last summer. It was then that we both became, shall we say, worried. I was hurtin' and even bumps and potholes put me further in agony. I feel it was the MOST pain I have experienced all this time, exceeding even my wars with Mr. Foley and the miserable removal of countless yards of tape from my minimally hairy body.



I got instant attention at the ED and several tests and labs were quickly done. After an ultrasound, a Nuclear Med. study and another EKG where they drug you and make you swallow this LONG tube with a tiny camera at the end it was determined it was neither a moving blood clot or aortic damage (like what killed John Ritter). So luckily I was discharged from the ED and sent home knowing what it ISN"T but also not what it IS.



So we just finished a peaceful dinner (oh did I mention I was NPO all day?) and will do my nighttime drug regimen before heading gratefully to (our own) bed. So no French toast tomorrow but I think I can handle it.
I guess nothing can taken 100% for granted.

Bob/Irv

1 comment:

  1. FAQ....
    Dear Mr. Moss,

    I really enjoy your restaurant review and very impressed that you have been able to do it for this long a time. You must have very, very loyal friends and I am jealous. But I do want to know.. which was your favorite restaurant among the ones your and your dinner gang have visited? And why?

    -anonymous

    ReplyDelete

RJ/Bob/Irv is a 61-year-old beloved husband, father, uncle, brother, motor racing fanatic, and Livermore resident who received a heart and kidney transplant in February of 2010. Bob's recent years have been defined by his health, which forced him into early retirement. Unfortunately, many of his days were spent in a dialysis center or at various medical appointments, primarily due to his living with diabetes for over 40 years. Numerous were panic visits to various Emergency Rooms all over California for treatment of chest pain. But now no more dialysis and no more late-night dashes to UCSF! The main focus of Bob's family, friends, and doctors has been a prompt transplant, so that he can get back to traveling with his Sweetie, driving fast cars, enjoying great music and laughing with his friends. This blog will function as a way to communicate with all interested parties and to keep everyone informed. And hopefully it can serve a great purpose also, in making people more aware of the importance of organ donation and how each life saved has a positive effect on dozens of related friends and relatives.