Thursday, March 25, 2010

Random Ness-with Gratitude to Linsey Fluken

I hardly know where to start anymore. I went ape when my blog of Tuesday disappeared into UCSF Cyberspace. I have been unable to organize my thoughts since that evening and with all the admittedly bizarre events of the last couple of days I have still not returned to my full senses. Now this is not to be confused with my well-publicized hallunications of several weeks ago (more on these some other time) but I beg your indulgence as I put down thoughts under Linsey's terminology "Random Ness".

ENOUGH ALREADY WITH ALL THIS NPO ANGST

I am frankly sick to death of myself constantly ragging about NPO (for you curious types "Nadie Per Orem", Latin for "Nothing By Mouth") every time a procedure is even tentatively scheduled. You would think after 5 or 6 years of this I would grow up already and get some sort of life. Why can't I get over myself every time I have to go without food or drink for 8 or 10 or 20 hours? Because I am a real-life card-carrying MOSS fer cryin' out loud, that's why! I get antsy when I am hungry, the more hungry the more antsy and generally objectionable I become. The most serious exceptions to my status of Model Patient have been prompted by an extended period of brutal and unnatural NPO. I was NPO today for 2 procedures that never happened only escaping true misery thanks to a truly sympathetic attending physician who pulled the plug on one of them. Inability to locate the surgeon canceled the other (yes I know he has done several lung transplants this week already so he deserved to be MIA) so I dodged that bullet too. But oh by the way I am NPO at midnight tonight for the same procedure at some time or other tomorrow. So EXCUUUUUUSE ME while I look forward to yet another lonely morning without my French toast.

REASONS I MAY NO LONGER BE THE MODEL PATIENT

The obvious big reason is the one described above....but in addition:

The other day the Diabetes Educator (DE for our purposes) told me I was the best patient she has seen at handling an insulin pump. Since I have been off my beloved pump since Feb. 9 I was anxious to resume. She gave me some estimated new insulin ratios and said she would write orders to get me restarted. So I did. Upon returning from a procedure in Interventional Radiology I was greeted by a huddle of obviously frightened nurses. Appears my nurse went berserko over me hooking up my pump since she and her colleagues were just as unfamiliar with insulin pumps as 99% of all the nurses at all of the many hospitals I have visited over the years.
I pointed out my instructions from the DE as well as the fact that at virtually every visit to UCSF for many years I was allowed to manage my own program. I was now viewed with fear and loathing as a suddenly Mad Guy Who Used to Be So Nice. Don't forget I was going onto Hour 9 of NPO. Imagine my chagrin when the DE announced she had said "when you get home" which I either never heard ("a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest"-Simon and Garfunkel, Bridge Over Troubled Water) or I was having another hallucination relapse. I gingerly removed my pump and went happily back to their regimen.

AND THE ULTIMATE WORST POSSIBLE NEWS I COULD GET

My nurse this evening casually informed me that for tomorrow's surgical procedure even though fairly minor would necessitate the return of my hated arch-enemy MR. FREAKIN' FOLEY!!! NO PLEASE! OK KEEP YOUR BLASTED FRENCH TOAST! ANYTHING BUT MR. FOLEY!

Stay tuned for more cliff-hanging, maybe tomorrow if I make it through a session with Mr. Foley!

Bob/Irv

No comments:

Post a Comment

RJ/Bob/Irv is a 61-year-old beloved husband, father, uncle, brother, motor racing fanatic, and Livermore resident who received a heart and kidney transplant in February of 2010. Bob's recent years have been defined by his health, which forced him into early retirement. Unfortunately, many of his days were spent in a dialysis center or at various medical appointments, primarily due to his living with diabetes for over 40 years. Numerous were panic visits to various Emergency Rooms all over California for treatment of chest pain. But now no more dialysis and no more late-night dashes to UCSF! The main focus of Bob's family, friends, and doctors has been a prompt transplant, so that he can get back to traveling with his Sweetie, driving fast cars, enjoying great music and laughing with his friends. This blog will function as a way to communicate with all interested parties and to keep everyone informed. And hopefully it can serve a great purpose also, in making people more aware of the importance of organ donation and how each life saved has a positive effect on dozens of related friends and relatives.