Sunday, March 28, 2010

A Policy Statement

A MOMENT OF SERIOUS STUFF

Recently it was brought to my attention that several caregivers here at UCSF have learned the address of this blog and have become readers. Please allow me to point out that while all the events described in these posts are 100% true they are not intended by any means to embarrass, criticize, or berate the fine folks here at UCSF Medical Center. ALL of them have combined to give me the most incredible opportunity anyone could ever even imagine; getting a gift of life. Yes there have been the occasional rude ("MR. MOSS, why are you not wearing a breathing mask?"), slow (" I'll be right back I promise") arrogant, ineffective and unhappy moments (most associated with French toast or Mr. Foley) but these are few and far between and do provide opportunities for the wit and sarcasm for which I was (previously) well-known. OK so now I have that out there.

MORE NOOZ FROM THE MORE NOOZROOM

Yesterday despite no breakfast I happily went to the OR on schedule at noon. After 4 out of 5 deep breaths on the Magic Mask I was in serious la-la land. At some time (I am told about 4 hours) a huge ruckus involving my somewhat sketchy next-bed neighbor partially woke me about half-way to fully awake. Turned out this rather scruffy "gentleman" was neither aware nor particular interested in where he was or why he was here. Natural under these circumstances but expressed poorly and loudly, we were all finally spared the entertainment when his drugs finally took affect. My surgeon then appeared to explain the procedure and results; the heart wound was sealed and dry with a 50/50 chance of continued success in this configuration. There might be swelling or future leakage that would need to be dealt with by
other methods.

AND WHAT OF MR.FOLEY??

As pre-shadowed by my night nurse I was apprehensive about my potential encounter with Mr. Foley. Of course I expected he would be placed after sedation, and as I went to la-la land (see above) I was blissfully unaware of any sensation involving my dreaded arch-enemy. In post-op I was frankly scared to look but finally with Cheryl's gentle attentions it was determined that there was no evidence of Mr. Foley anywhere. Imagine my unbridled joy and relief. I was told by my docs this morning that it is highly unlikely that Mr.F. went unused and is way more likely he was placed and removed during my sleepy time by a kind and merciful surgeon. So no major leakage since then but for some strange reason I am experiencing large daily weight gains which are attributed to fluid again. At the current time there is no instant fix on this but for sure I will NOT be leaving today.

AS FOR NOW

I am cooling my jets writing this blog for you gentle readers while hopelessly waiting for the rain-delayed start of the NASCAR race at Martinsville, VA. Just moments ago NASCAR pulled the plug and postponed the event until tomorrow morning. Not to worry, I have plenty to do and I understand from Cheryl (who is making a trip to Livermore today) that Leslie is planning a visit sometime today. So it is all good.

All for now....speak at you later.

Bob/Irv

No comments:

Post a Comment

RJ/Bob/Irv is a 61-year-old beloved husband, father, uncle, brother, motor racing fanatic, and Livermore resident who received a heart and kidney transplant in February of 2010. Bob's recent years have been defined by his health, which forced him into early retirement. Unfortunately, many of his days were spent in a dialysis center or at various medical appointments, primarily due to his living with diabetes for over 40 years. Numerous were panic visits to various Emergency Rooms all over California for treatment of chest pain. But now no more dialysis and no more late-night dashes to UCSF! The main focus of Bob's family, friends, and doctors has been a prompt transplant, so that he can get back to traveling with his Sweetie, driving fast cars, enjoying great music and laughing with his friends. This blog will function as a way to communicate with all interested parties and to keep everyone informed. And hopefully it can serve a great purpose also, in making people more aware of the importance of organ donation and how each life saved has a positive effect on dozens of related friends and relatives.