Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Will this day ever be over?

My cheery morning post seems like weeks ago now. As Leslie said, I finally realized that it would be hours before I got to see a likely zoned-out RJ, so I headed home around 4:30 after letting the surgery reception desk and the 10th floor nurse's station know my plans - and cell phone number. Of course at that time of day my 50-mile trip took 2 hours, but I still got home before it was completely dark. Something unusual this past month. I had barely started searching the freezer for dinner ideas when my cell phone rang. It was the recovery room nurse with my worried husband on the line for me!

He was still very groggy, but wanted to know "what happened?" - regarding me being at home and not at his side. I explained that it was 7 pm now and I needed to get some rest too. He was very disappointed, but not really aware that I had last seen him around 1 pm. (Learned later that the procedure to remove the neck catheter for dialysis also took longer than I was told - an hour plus, instead of 15 minutes, so it's just as well I left for lunch and an apartment tour during that procedure). He told me the surgery to remove his old pacemaker took way longer than anyone expected, and that he was currently in a lot of pain, and of course very hungry. I then got to speak with the nurse again and asked about pain meds for him, explaining that this was a guy who never complained about pain, so it would be great if the docs allowed him something. She said that was in the works, and that he'd be returning to his room on the 10th floor when he was sufficiently concious.

Without going into even more boring details, after several calls to the 10th floor nurse's station I only know they are expecting him back there any time, but he had not yet arrived by 9 pm. Soooo glad I am ready for bed at home instead of having that long drive ahead of me at this point. He will be taken care of and we will catch up tomorrow. This very long day had to be hard on him and I expect it will take a day or two to regain his energy.

Looking forward to a fresh start for both of us Wednesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment

RJ/Bob/Irv is a 61-year-old beloved husband, father, uncle, brother, motor racing fanatic, and Livermore resident who received a heart and kidney transplant in February of 2010. Bob's recent years have been defined by his health, which forced him into early retirement. Unfortunately, many of his days were spent in a dialysis center or at various medical appointments, primarily due to his living with diabetes for over 40 years. Numerous were panic visits to various Emergency Rooms all over California for treatment of chest pain. But now no more dialysis and no more late-night dashes to UCSF! The main focus of Bob's family, friends, and doctors has been a prompt transplant, so that he can get back to traveling with his Sweetie, driving fast cars, enjoying great music and laughing with his friends. This blog will function as a way to communicate with all interested parties and to keep everyone informed. And hopefully it can serve a great purpose also, in making people more aware of the importance of organ donation and how each life saved has a positive effect on dozens of related friends and relatives.