Sunday, February 7, 2010

He's No Fun....He Fell Right Over! (as Firesign Would Say)


Had a very nice visit Saturday with Robin and Pat. Without warning the guy showed up with the wheelchair to whisk me off to dialysis. They were able to ride up with me in the freight elevator. Since there are no visitors allowed up there the door to the dialysis unit was as far as they could go. Thank you guys for coming all this way to visit.

After dinner I had another bunch show up; my Dinner Gang. For those not familiar with my dizzying social life this is a small group of friends who worked at California Pacific Medical Center together in the early 90's. We have been doing this for about 17 or 18 years (no one can remember exactly when) roughly once a month. Sometimes spouses/SO's are included but more often not. We had a nice long chat down the hall in the solarium with a great view of The City sparkling below.

Today started well with my favorite meal of the day, breakfast. I was standing at the sink when I started getting a flushed feeling in my head. The next thing I knew I was lying on the floor on my right side. After I realized what was going on I slowly sat up, then stood. Then the nursing assistant came in and I told him. Of course he went to find my nurse who subsequently called both of my docs. They checked me out, asked me some questions and the letters "ICU" were mumbled. I pleaded that I could stay over here, and so far it has not been pursued. I am basically OK except now my reputation is ruined and I am considered a "fall risk". Since I haven't pulled one of these in almost 2 years I am surprised and disappointed.

Right now I am listening to James Taylor on iTunes while composing this post. Cherie is very near the hospital and we will spend some quality time ignoring the Super Bowl. We do hope to catch a few commercials and the halftime show with The Who.

So it's all good (as Andy would say) and I hope to pass the rest of the day without incident.

Bob/Irv

No comments:

Post a Comment

RJ/Bob/Irv is a 61-year-old beloved husband, father, uncle, brother, motor racing fanatic, and Livermore resident who received a heart and kidney transplant in February of 2010. Bob's recent years have been defined by his health, which forced him into early retirement. Unfortunately, many of his days were spent in a dialysis center or at various medical appointments, primarily due to his living with diabetes for over 40 years. Numerous were panic visits to various Emergency Rooms all over California for treatment of chest pain. But now no more dialysis and no more late-night dashes to UCSF! The main focus of Bob's family, friends, and doctors has been a prompt transplant, so that he can get back to traveling with his Sweetie, driving fast cars, enjoying great music and laughing with his friends. This blog will function as a way to communicate with all interested parties and to keep everyone informed. And hopefully it can serve a great purpose also, in making people more aware of the importance of organ donation and how each life saved has a positive effect on dozens of related friends and relatives.