Saturday, October 2, 2010

You Can Never Go Home Again, Right?

A LONG-ANTICIPATED VISIT TO JOHN MUIR HEALTH, CONCORD CAMPUS

I had a brief appointment with my ophthalmologist last Tuesday. Her office is located across the street from JMH (see above), but I am sure many still know it as Mt. Diablo. For those who are not familiar with my career history, I managed the food service there from 2001 to 2005. I departed sadly, with kidney and heart issues and depleted ability to discharge my duties effectively. Although I have been back, most occasions have been as a patient, in order to repair my dialysis access. Due to confidentiality requirements, I really did not see any of the staff during those stays. I did stop by once for a brief visit during my journey to transplant, but back then I did not feel particularly sparkling, so I am sure it was not very memorable for anyone. And that was quite a while ago.

Over the last few years, my ex-boss Sandi and Chef Alison have encouraged me to come and see the staff. They said there were often inquiries about my health. My dear wife has urged me to go, as well as good friend Charlotte, and more so since the transplant. Seeing as my current mood is greatly improved, to say the least, I decided this trip to Concord was a prime opportunity.

I have been irrationally hesitant since February's miracle, for reasons I may not even fully comprehend. But other's opinions seemed to indicate that whatever my hang-up is, it might be a valuable experience to drop on over. I checked with everyone about coming Tuesday, and it seemed like a good time. I sucked it up and decided to go for it.

Chef Alison met me at the front entrance and walked me to Cafe Diablo. Sandi was at Walnut Creek that day, but my successor Eugene was there. Quite a few employees came out from the kitchen to join those already on break when word got around I was there. Everyone, including Eugene, seemed glad to see me, and were interested in the nature of my transplant and transplantation in general. It was, in a word, outstanding. Next, we stopped at the dietitians' office, and it was very cool to see them again, too.

I had expressed an interest to Sandi to see the Director of HR, Julie A. We had done a lot of great work together and been on a few committees. I was even sitting right next to her in the infamous Joint Commission Accreditation meeting during which my blood sugar took a steep dive, and I had to be carted to the ER. Julie was not immediately reachable, since her duties are numerous and her time valuable. That's why I was amazed when she found me in the dietitians' office! It was great to see her, and when she said "You made a difference when you were here", it really meant a lot to me.

After a quick trip through the kitchen, I said my farewells and headed out. I grinned all the way home. Quite a day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

RJ/Bob/Irv is a 61-year-old beloved husband, father, uncle, brother, motor racing fanatic, and Livermore resident who received a heart and kidney transplant in February of 2010. Bob's recent years have been defined by his health, which forced him into early retirement. Unfortunately, many of his days were spent in a dialysis center or at various medical appointments, primarily due to his living with diabetes for over 40 years. Numerous were panic visits to various Emergency Rooms all over California for treatment of chest pain. But now no more dialysis and no more late-night dashes to UCSF! The main focus of Bob's family, friends, and doctors has been a prompt transplant, so that he can get back to traveling with his Sweetie, driving fast cars, enjoying great music and laughing with his friends. This blog will function as a way to communicate with all interested parties and to keep everyone informed. And hopefully it can serve a great purpose also, in making people more aware of the importance of organ donation and how each life saved has a positive effect on dozens of related friends and relatives.