Sunday, October 17, 2010

Ready, Set.....Stop

SEEMED LIKE A GOOD WEEK

We breezed through our obligations last week, intent on wrapping things up in anticipation of our Dream Vacation on Tauck Tours' American Canyonlands. Our Wednesday visit to UCSF was not only successful medically, but one more positive and, yes, enjoyable few hours amongst our gracious and concerned caregivers. Good news from Urology, a brief visit to the Cath Lab, and some time spent with our two heart and kidney transplant buddies on 10 ICC preceded a trouble-free ride home.

I went to Concord (Centre Concord?...what is up with the spelling at Concord City Hall?) on Thursday solo, this to help staff a CTDN information table at the City of Concord Employee Benefit Fair. I love talking to anyone and everyone about transplantation and the importance of donor registration. One attendee actually said she was hesitant to register since "they will let you die so they can have your organs". You can see why we are so anxious to dispel poppycock like this. It was then a pretty quick turnaround, as I joined our friends Bart and Barbara to attend TRIO in Mountain View. Cheryl had to continue her work day responsibilities and did not attend.

BUT WAIT, HOLD THE PHONE.....

Literally. We were wandering around the drug store Friday evening around 6 pm, getting those last few vacation needs and topping off the prescriptions in preparation for our departure Sunday morning. My cell rang, and it was our (substitute) coordinator, Karen. "Bad news" she said. Seems that my latest lab numbers had just arrived that day, and the kidney function (creatinine to be specific) was not pleasing. In conjunction with some elevated blood pressure, they were afraid of possible rejection. Since this was to be ascertained via ultrasound and biopsy, the strong suggestion was to appear at UCSF Monday morning and possibly Tuesday. Everyone was concerned about possible problems out there in the National Parks, and even though we had the requisite travel insurance, any medical evacuation would be problematical. Unlike my adventure in Long Beach, there are few suitable airports in places like East Nowhere, UT.

My initial reaction was "Screw it, we're going anyway". Karen spoke calmly and intelligently as I hung my head pathetically in the "Dental Needs" section of CVS. Cheryl was somewhere else in the store, and when she found me by the toothpaste I shooed her away towards the pharmacy. I was worried she would be demoralized. Karen suggested I discuss it with Cheryl, and that she would call me back in a bit to get the decision.

I shoulda known, my dear wife's first reaction was "OK, just think of all the cool things we could do instead!". She said we didn't have to endure packing, schlepping, or airports. We could do a few movies, catch up on delinquent race-watching, go to Monterey or Tahoe or Florida....all pending results of whatever vile testing UCSF had in store. Further, she could safely say that the Grand Canyon would probably be there a while, so we had several opportunities in the future to visit before budget cuts caused it to be sold and re-developed into condos. Sometimes I cannot believe she doesn't rag like me (huh?), but she writes it off to "that's just the way I am". You may be surprised to learn, however, that my ragging only lasted about 18 minutes this time, not five years like before the transplant. Those who may have known me a while may recall some protracted periods of ragging in the past, for questionable reasons, many automotive in nature. I can safely say that a meager $2.5 million worth of transplantation, plus the immense influence of Cheryl L. Moss, has turned this puppy around.

ONWARD AND UPWARD

Our first decisive move was to stroll about 50 feet from CVS to one of our favorite spots to consume (reasonable) quantities of food and (unreasonable, and unspecific) amounts of adult beverages. Following a pleasant visit to balmy and busy Downtown Liverwitztown, unable to avoid a stop at the frozen yogie dispensary, we began to hatch (ouch..how do chickens do this?) some plausible alternate plans.

My initial brilliant idea was for Sunday, and it included meeting a buncha Chaws and Schnurrs for a brunch 'n' movie frenzy. We successfully executed our mission, in time for those among us who needed to view important but futile sporting events. And yes, you need to see The Social Network although I would stop short of "one of the best movies of all time" as I have seen it described. This delightful outing was followed by another excellent jointly home-prepared dinner and a rousing evening of The Amazing Race and another disgustingly fascinating helping of Hoarders. If you haven't experienced this unwordly reality show, do give it a try. You will never think your home is disorganized or dirty ever again.

As I blog, I am anxiously awaiting a call from the heart transplant administrative assistant, who will hopefully have news, whoops, I mean nooz of our fate these next few days. We can only hope for the best.

Aha, doth I heareth yonder phone a-ringing? For sooth, I believe I do! "hello...yes, it's me...yeah, hi...11:00 am?...we'll be there!" Off to the races, as I always say.

Later on, dudes,

Bob/Irv

No comments:

Post a Comment

RJ/Bob/Irv is a 61-year-old beloved husband, father, uncle, brother, motor racing fanatic, and Livermore resident who received a heart and kidney transplant in February of 2010. Bob's recent years have been defined by his health, which forced him into early retirement. Unfortunately, many of his days were spent in a dialysis center or at various medical appointments, primarily due to his living with diabetes for over 40 years. Numerous were panic visits to various Emergency Rooms all over California for treatment of chest pain. But now no more dialysis and no more late-night dashes to UCSF! The main focus of Bob's family, friends, and doctors has been a prompt transplant, so that he can get back to traveling with his Sweetie, driving fast cars, enjoying great music and laughing with his friends. This blog will function as a way to communicate with all interested parties and to keep everyone informed. And hopefully it can serve a great purpose also, in making people more aware of the importance of organ donation and how each life saved has a positive effect on dozens of related friends and relatives.