Saturday, December 24, 2011

Hockey, Rocky, Not Schlocky

SORRY, NO LETTER THIS YEAR

I just could not get a Moss Family Letter 2011 done, so excuse my pathetic lameness as I offer a bit of cheerful, newsy repartee to lighten your Holiday load, so to speak.

THE HOCKEY PART

I have unmercifully abused my dear son-in-law Chris (aka LuckyMan SB) for not introducing me to his passion, NHL hockey. And of course I mean, particularly, the San Jose Sharks. Although he has season tickets, he has offered the weak-ass excuse that the seats are at the very last row of the highest section of HP Pavilion, so he thinks I could not make it up there. Horseshit, I say, but I continued to patiently wait for an invite.

To hold up my end of the deal, I brought he and Leslie to Rennsport Reunion at Laguna Seca, and they loved it. So OK, dude, I took you to a race, looks like it's your turn. Well, let me say Chris really stepped up when he landed SECOND ROW SEATS to see the Sharks take on Florida. We were excited to say the least.

The scene in Downtown San Jose when the Sharks play at home is totally off the hizzle. There have been lots more entertainment and dining opportunities added to the city since I first wandered around during my halcyon San Jose Medical Center days. And believe me, the restaurants, bars, and streets were teaming with folks in numerous forms of teal and black Sharks gear. Luckily, Chris loaned me an appropriate jersey and a hat so I looked totally cool. We enjoyed dinner at La Pinata from their Sharks Express menu, then hailed one of the many free pedal-driven "rickshaws" for a lift to The Tank.

It is totally nuts inside the arena. And in second row seats, the action is absolutely incredible. So quick, so violent, and I am in awe of anyone who can even barely ice skate, so these guys blew me away. It is hard to follow the puck, but just the high-velocity action is fascinating, as are all the lights, noise, and general spectacle. Just for extra fun, right behind us was a completely shit-faced "chick" who looked like she was about to upchuck on Sandy C., and had to be removed by security.

I am still amazed, but I am sure those excellent seats have spoiled me. Seeing it on TV is just not even close to the same, and Chris' "nosebleed" seats may be kinda far away. But what the hell, I am not likely to become a hardcore fan but now I have seen it in all of its violent beauty. So you are (mostly) off the hook, LuckyMan...it was awesome, and thank you again.

THE ROCKY PART

I am not referring to climbing on anything, nor am I remembering any films with Sylvester Stallone. I am talking ROCK 'N' ROLL, baby. Old Time Rock 'n' Roll, to be more specific. If you are guessing Bob Seger, you are right on. When I saw the ad for tickets, I wished I could go. I really like his music, which I listen to a lot especially at the gym. It helps me exercise. So, like an idiot, I went online and got two without checking with my dear Cheryl. Yes, she was steamed, but she doesn't get too outwardly mean, as many readers may know. By the time we went, all resentment had vanished, and the music was about to begin.

Needless to say, it truly ROCKED. Bob and the ol' Silver Bullet Band were in rare form, and with three encores, all favorite numbers were performed. I know today's big stars like Katy Perry and Lady Gaga have spectacular shows with fire, explosions, costumes, dancing around and such, but just gimme a great rock 'n' roll singer and appropriate backing, and there you have it. Quite a fun evening, and well worth the abuse from my wonderful spouse. I agreed to accept this show as my own Hanukkah and Christmas present to myself, and who knows what I want better than me?

OTHER PARTS

At the Transplant Recipient International Organization (TRIO) Holiday dinner, we all looked forward to our annual get-together in Sunnyvale to not only dine with fellow recipients and friends, but to honor and remember our donors as well as those who were not as lucky as I to receive a transplant in time. Each grateful recipient hangs an ornament on the tree and has a personal Holiday thought for our donor families.

To our complete and delighted surprise, TRIO's president, Steve O., announced Cheryl and I as Members of the Year, presenting us with a beautiful gift basket of goodies. When I was helped up on my feet after falling on the floor, I was able (barely) to thank Steve and the Board for a truly awesome honor. In truth, TRIO has been a forceful helping factor for us ever since our dear Grammy Joan dragged me kicking and screaming to our first meeting, now almost nine years ago. Thank you, Steve and Board, for this great treat.

I end this Holiday Edition with yet another emotional transplant experience. My good friend from CTDN, Laura S., serves as a liaison between the nursing staffs of several area hospitals and the Network. She gets the first call from a nurse, usually from the ER or ICU, that a potential donor situation could occur. Laura conducts a phone screening, then evaluates the conditions on site. Further, she is involved in retrieval and one end of the transport process. One of her responsibilities is Eden Medical Center in Castro Valley.

Early in the morning of February 6, 2010, a young gunshot victim arrived at the ER from Union City. This was Ruben Bernal, Jr. In ICU, he was declared brain dead and the donation process began. The operating room was prepared and organs were retrieved. Ruben's heart and one kidney went to UCSF Medical Center, where I was waiting on 10 Long. On February 9 and 10, these organs were successfully transplanted into my body.

When I told Laura that Ruben had been taken to Eden, she informed the OR nursing managers, and they were instantly interested in meeting me. With all the important privacy issues, hospital staff never find anything out about the disposition of organs originating from their own facility. So to meet one very lucky local recipient would be a rare occurrence. Laura asked if I would come to a monthly staff meeting, and of course I eagerly agreed to do so.

Cherie and I arrived at Eden for the 7:00 am meeting as the managers were preparing breakfast, right in the meeting room Belgian waffles, eggs, bacon......it was incredible. I said a few words and showed the group our pictures of Ruben, Mama Luz, and Team Ruben. The response was quite overwhelming, especially from two OR techs in the group who had prepared and assisted in the OR during the operation. Emotional, to say the very least. We were in kind of a daze for hours thereafter, since this was another major encounter along the ever-changing Transplant Turnpike.

We hope everyone has a most wonderful Holiday, and a healthy 2012. We are grateful to be where we are right now, as we are every single day when we see Ruben's picture and think of him and the Bernal/Tovar family. Now, it's back to the Turnpike which is looking straight and smooth at the moment.

Bob/Irv

2 comments:

  1. Another great addition of the Transplant Tribune, loved hearing about visit to Eden. Ever inspiring to hear about how you are spreading the word about donation. xo - Taryn

    ReplyDelete

RJ/Bob/Irv is a 61-year-old beloved husband, father, uncle, brother, motor racing fanatic, and Livermore resident who received a heart and kidney transplant in February of 2010. Bob's recent years have been defined by his health, which forced him into early retirement. Unfortunately, many of his days were spent in a dialysis center or at various medical appointments, primarily due to his living with diabetes for over 40 years. Numerous were panic visits to various Emergency Rooms all over California for treatment of chest pain. But now no more dialysis and no more late-night dashes to UCSF! The main focus of Bob's family, friends, and doctors has been a prompt transplant, so that he can get back to traveling with his Sweetie, driving fast cars, enjoying great music and laughing with his friends. This blog will function as a way to communicate with all interested parties and to keep everyone informed. And hopefully it can serve a great purpose also, in making people more aware of the importance of organ donation and how each life saved has a positive effect on dozens of related friends and relatives.