Wednesday, December 22, 2010

'Twas the Blog Before Christmas....

AND ALL 'ROUND OUR HOME...

"...A Jew Enjoyed Christmas, Who Woulda Known??" OK then, enough awkward poetry. The point, as you can possibly guess, is that I am truly excited this year. Seems like too many of the last few Christmases and New Years I have either been in a hospital or on my way to one. Will not happen in 2010!!! Put that one in the bank!

ANOTHER FINE HOLIDAY WEEK

The Holiday 2010 Celebrations continued unabated with the festive Cardiac Rehabilitation Holiday Luncheon. This provides an opportunity for past and current participants to socialize with each other and the OUTSTANDING staff. You may recall I have been a faithful patient for nearly six years, but this was my first attendance at this event. Although I got into a bit of trouble with the cookie exchange, I thoroughly enjoyed myself and vow to continue my participation.

Next evening, we joined the Frateses and Henrys for another fun visit to Armando's in Martinez. In this small, funky club we saw The California Honeydrops, a very talented and eclectic musical group. They cannot be accurately categorized, but suffice it to say their music was lots of fun. We all really like Armando's as well.



THE UNAVOIDABLE MEDICAL CRAP

We had a most interesting day of Clinic Hijinks the very next day. What a total buzz-kill. We originally asked to have heart clinic and kidney clinic scheduled the same day to save us a trip, with sufficient time in between. But wait, then an ultrasound and a visit with Vascular Surgery were shoehorned in, basically at the same time as the previous two appointments. These were inserted to investigate my bothersome aching back and leg situation which has been a problem since before Thanksgiving. The advice we were given concerning the scientifically impossible scheduling was "Oh, don't worry about it." So we didn't until we got caught like rats in a maze running up, down, in, and out of various Parnassus Places.

The ultrasound revealed an obstruction in my lower left leg, but the vascular doc did not think that was the cause of my pain and instability. The heart team examined me superficially and listened to my symptoms, and ditto when we (finally) arrived at our first scheduled appointment with the kidney transplant doc. Neither visit produced a diagnosis, but the heart folks did order an MRI for further investigation.

Two words uttered at the tail end of the heart chapter of our story were "spinal stenosis". This struck a bell (ding-dong, you ding dong) since one of my expert cardiac rehab nurses had mentioned the same possibility. After the usual Googling of this ailment, I am fairly convinced that I have this. I have a majority of the symptoms, and the primary, most frequent, Numero Uno cause is.....OLD AGE!!! Yep, it's true. And I cannot argue with that risk factor, all you gotta do is look at my driver's license or ask our kiddoes. Guilty as charged.

I will not bore you (any more than you already seem to be...I can see for miles and miles and miles, you know) with my amateur explanation of spinal stenosis, so Google this baby and see for yourselves. Or not. Whatever.

A HOLIDAY LETTER TO MY DONOR FAMILY

We thought you might want to see the letter I recently composed and sent to CTDN to share with my donor family. I really have been thinking of them a lot ever since Thanksgiving. It's gotta be a tough time for them. So, here it is:

Dear Donor Family,

At this time of the year, I think even more often than usual of you than I do the rest of the year. It is a time to be thankful, which I immeasurably am, for your incredible decision that has saved my life. Be assured, you were greatly and enthusiastically thanked by everyone at our family Thanksgiving dinner.

I believe we all felt that while we were able to enjoy our holiday, our enjoyment was tempered by the thought that somewhere there was a family having their first Thanksgiving without a member of the family present. We too have lost loved ones, and know how difficult this season can be afterwards.

I want you to know I am doing well. I have been able to become interested again in things I have ignored for a long time due to my illness. I have a better outlook now that I am healthier, and it is reflected in everything I do. I have a greater appreciation for my friends and family, who stuck with me during a long and difficult time when being with me was not enjoyable. These great things I owe to you and your loved one.

I know this Christmas must be difficult for you. My hope is that you can take a measure of joy from the fact that despite your loss, the spirit of your lost family member continues on with strength, hope, and renewed enthusiasm. Perhaps this thought can help you and give you some comfort at this time of the year.

Many thanks, and best wishes from a grateful heart and kidney transplant recipient.

Bob


Since this lengthy tome has been billed as "The Blog Before Christmas", I am looking nervously at the clock. I see it is now one hour and one minute until Christmas, and....what is that I hear? The sound of reindeer on our roof? No, it sounds like a big ol' truck pulling into Broadmoor Court. Could it be? Is it true? I am running outside in my gown and sleeping cap, and YES!! It IS the North Pole Exotic Car Transport van! And here it comes....the elf-driver is unloading my new Ferrari 458 Italia RIGHT NOW. I asked the Santa on the train ride and the one at the toy store for this, and he (they?) came through! Thank you, Santa!!

Or not.

"...Merry Christmas to all, and to all a Good Night!!"

Bob/Irv

P.S. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention I have had some, uh, negative reactions to my new blog background. It's BEER everyone....get your minds outta the gutter, OK?

2 comments:

  1. That is such a nice letter to your donor family, very origional and "from the heart". Have you heard back from them?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Bob,
    I am so glad you got a new heart and kidney. I really do think of you often. When the Christmas card came this year it only had Cheri's name on the envelope and I got a huge lump in my throat. Imagine my joy when I read your letter.

    I am home recovering from surgery. I had a lumpectomy on Thursday. I have breast cancer but it is stage 1 and I won't have to have Chemo, just radiation. I am a lucky girl. And as far as Spinal Stenosis, I have that too. It's not fun. But they figured out that most of my pain was caused by a pinched nerve and I'm taking good drugs for that.

    I'm still working. I think I love being a Food Service Director. I work at a great hospital and live in a great small community. I don't think I will ever retire. Anyway, if I did, David and I would drive each other absolutely nuts.

    I'm glad your kids are doing well and Cheri was able to return to work. We Baby Boomers have a lot of life left in us.

    I would love to just email you. I am at patterpe@comcast.net. I have some great stories to tell you. Did you know I was in charge of a Vegan Restaurant? We run a catering business. I got to experience evacuating a hospital because of a Fire.

    Please keep in touch. My best to Cheri.

    Patty P

    ReplyDelete

RJ/Bob/Irv is a 61-year-old beloved husband, father, uncle, brother, motor racing fanatic, and Livermore resident who received a heart and kidney transplant in February of 2010. Bob's recent years have been defined by his health, which forced him into early retirement. Unfortunately, many of his days were spent in a dialysis center or at various medical appointments, primarily due to his living with diabetes for over 40 years. Numerous were panic visits to various Emergency Rooms all over California for treatment of chest pain. But now no more dialysis and no more late-night dashes to UCSF! The main focus of Bob's family, friends, and doctors has been a prompt transplant, so that he can get back to traveling with his Sweetie, driving fast cars, enjoying great music and laughing with his friends. This blog will function as a way to communicate with all interested parties and to keep everyone informed. And hopefully it can serve a great purpose also, in making people more aware of the importance of organ donation and how each life saved has a positive effect on dozens of related friends and relatives.